(Excerpts from the Board Charter)
The entire Charter is available as a PDF file
The Biomedical Engineering Board of Advisors is an independent body that will be chartered to advise and support the Chair of Biomedical Engineering in the continual development and improvement of the Department.
The role of the Board of Advisors is to provide assistance to the Chair for academic planning and accreditation, instructional and research program expansion, and financial management of the Department. To fulfill its advisory role, the board maintains an ongoing relationship with University and School administration.
The Board shall have the responsibility to regularly:
- Receive and react to a reports on the state of the Department
- Advise and assist the Department Chair regarding the development and operation of the Department
Strategic objectives for the Board include:
- Providing a link between the Department of Biomedical Engineering and practicing engineers
- Enhancing visibility of the Department of Biomedical Engineering both regionally and nationally
- Facilitating continued professional development of the faculty Assisting in recruitment of high quality undergraduate and graduate students
- Supporting fund raising and sustaining growth of Biomedical Engineering planning and reviewing physical plant improvements
Members of the Board
Richard B. Ashman, Ph.D.
(Board Chair) (Ph.D. 1982)
President, Charter Research Inc.
Marta L. Villarraga, Ph.D.
(BMEN class of 1990; MS 1992; Ph.D. 1996)
Principal Engineer, Exponent® Failure Analysis Associates®, Inc.
Stephanie Kute, Ph.D.
(BMEN Class of 1995, MS 1996)
Project Manager, Battelle Memorial Institute, Medical Device Solutions, Columbus OH 43201-2693
Edward W. Karp
President, Cyber-Health, Inc.
(M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1998)
Sabrina Martucci Johnson
Founder, DARE Bioscience CFO/COO, Calibr.
James T. Bennett, M.D.
(ChE class of 1974; MD 1978)
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Tulane University School of Medicine
J. Monroe Laborde, M.S., M.D.
(Tulane Engineering Curriculum Class of 1969, MD 1973; CWRU MS BME 1976)
William C. Van Buskirk, Ph.D.
(Ph.D. Stanford University, 1970)
Professor and Chair Emeritus of Biomedical Engineering
Dean Emeritus of Engineering
Michael D. Carbo - Chair
(BSEE in 1978; JD from Tulane in 1981)
Michael D. Carbo, P.L.C.
Dean of Science and Engineering
Michael J. Moore
Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
Katherine K. Raymond
Associate Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering