Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

Graduate FAQs

General Questions

Q: What are the institution and department codes for the GRE?
A: GRE Institution Code: 6173; GRE Department Code: 1004 (Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering).

Q: What are the institution and department codes for the TOEFL?
A: TOEFL Institution Code: 6173; TOEFL Department Code: 64 (Chemical Engineering).

Q: What is the typical graduate student residency?
A: While residency duration is dependent on many factors, five years is a typical residency for doctoral students.

Application and Acceptance

Q: What is the application deadline?
A: We strongly encourage students to submit applications by December 31st for fall admissions.

Q: Do you admit students in the spring semester?
A: Typically students are not admitted for the spring term.

Q: What test scores, GPA do I need to be considered for admission?
A: The Department does not have "minimum" scores, as the admission process is based on a variety of inputs including GPA, standardized test scores, faculty endorsements, and prior research experience. The process is very competitive, however. Historically incoming class GPAs are well above 3.5 and combined GRE scores are well above 1200 (verbal + quantitative, old format), or well above 305 (new format).

Q: Do I need prior research experience?
A: Prior laboratory research experience, although not required, is viewed favorably for admission to the Ph.D. program.

Q: Do I need to take the GRE subject test?
A: The GRE subject test is not required.

Q: What is the minimum score required on the TOEFL?
A: The School of Science and Engineering requires a minimum score of 80. Historically, average TOEFL scores for the incoming graduate class tends to exceed this number by a fairly large margin. TOEFL and IELTS are required if English is not your native language. You may waive these if you achieve a 600+ on the SAT verbal or a 27+ on the ACT English Section

Q: My undergraduate degree is not in Chemical Engineering, can I still apply and be accepted to the Department?
A: Yes, we do consider non-ChE undergrads. Some non-ChE undergrads that are admitted need to complete remedial coursework upon joining the program, others do not. This is handled on a case-by-case basis. It is expected that all applicants will have a strong math background as well as a strong background in the chemical, biological, and/or physical sciences.

Q: Does the department admit Masters students?
A: While the department admits predominantly PhD students, MS students may be admitted. MS students will not receive a stipend, and they will be afforded a tuition scholarship of 50% for their first four semesters in residency.  There is a possibility of a tuition waiver for the fifth semester (and only the fifth semester) in residency.  Any MS student in residency beyond five semesters will not receive a tuition scholarship.

Financial Aid

Q: Is financial aid available for your graduate programs?
A: Full financial aid (tuition + stipend) is given to all students admitted to the Doctoral Program.

Q: Are international students eligible for financial aid?
A: International students applying to the Ph.D. program are eligible for financial aid. If admitted, the student will receive a teaching or research assistantship, tuition waiver, and health insurance supplement as described above.