The goal of the Grayson research group is to find creative solutions to the world's material and medical needs by tailoring the nanoscale architecture of synthetic macromolecules.
Prof. Scott M. Grayson
Department of Chemistry, Tulane University
6400 Freret St. 2015 Percival Stern Hall
New Orleans, LA 70118
Office phone: (504) 862-8135
Departmental Fax: (504) 865-5596
- December: Congratulations to McKenna Redding on successfully defending her PhD. Dissertation!
- December: Congratulations to Chris Keller on successfully defending his PhD. Dissertation!
- June: Chris' paper is published on amphiphilic graft polymers on silica for oil dispersants.
- May: Amman Nadeem joins as a first year in our laboratory.
- May: Pelumi Graduates! Best of luck with him at BASF!
- December: Pelumi's paper on the shape of bis-MPA dendrimers and linear polymers is accepted.
- November: Molly's paper on the degradation of poly(ethylene glycol) is accepted.
- November: The Albert group (as well as some of my students) hosted a "virtual" APTEC (Applied Polymer Technology Extension Consortium).
- July: Pelumi's paper on the synthesis of linear bis-MPA polymers is in print in Macomolecules. Congrats!
- April: Farihah’s review in Nature Chemistry is online (and a highly cite article!)
- March: COVID lock-down.
- December: Congrats! Joe received his PhD!
- December: Congratulations to Dr. Molly Payne. She has completed her PhD dissertation and went on to NOBIC as the BARDA DRIVe project manager.
- July: We hosted the "GPC 2019" conference for Tosoh and had the majority of our students present. Oluwapelumi won the second place award for his poster.
- July: Congratulations to Dr. Farihah Haque. She has completed her PhD dissertation and moved on to U. of Minnesota (Marc Hillmyer's group)
- February to May: Scott will complete his research sabbatical at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden
- November: Congratulations to Dr. Karolina Kosakowska, on defending her PhD. Dissertation! She is now a development scientist at Casebia Therapuetics.
- September to December: Romain Lienard carried out a 3 month research project at Tulane University
- July: Karolina's TWO manuscripts on amphiphilic star-linear-dendritic macromolecules are featured in Biomacromolecules
- June: Molly's paper on the MALDI characterization of well-defined polymers is published in Journal of Visualized Experiments
- May to July: Scott carried out the first of his two sabbaticals at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden
- March: Joe's manuscript on iodine containing dendrimer calibrants is published in Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
- February: McKenna's paper with Simcha (Prof. Karen Wooley) involving the glucopyranoside cyclic carbonate is published in Macromolecules
- December: Gio's papers with Farihah (and Prof. Julie Albert) on cyclic polymer thin films is published in Macromolecules
- June: McKenna Redding, an undergraduate from University of Tampa, FL joins the Grayson group. Welcome!
- March: Kyle's paper with Dr. Muhammad Ejaz recounting the oil remediation of hollow amphiphilic nanoparticles is accepted as a paper in Polymer Chemistry
- February: Farihah's paper with Fabienne on studying cyclic poly(glycidyl phenyl ether) is published in Macromolecules
- February: Scott is selected as a Fulbright Fellow to expand research collaborations with the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden
- January: Ravi's collaboration with Lanhe Zhang and Prof. John Torkelson (Northwestern U.) studying fragility in cyclic polymers is published in Macromolecules
- January: Joe's collaboration with Ryan Weiss and Prof. Tara Myers (U. Pittsburg) characterizing polyester sequences using MALDI-TOF MS is published in Macromolecules
- November: Scott is invested as the first Joseph H. Boyer Professor of Chemistry.The professorship honors Prof. J. H. Boyer (Tulane 1953-1960), the former advisor of Tulane PhD alum Eugene Miller (BS '54, PhD '59)
- August: Oluwapelumi Kareem, an undergraduate from Xavier University, joins the Grayson research group.Welcome!
- July: Scott is promoted to full professor
- June: Ravi's paper on characterizing impurities in cyclic polymers published in Macromolecules
- May: Boyu's collaborations with Alejandro Mueller (Polymat, Spain) and Wenbing Hu (Nanjing, China) studying the thermal properties of cyclic polycaprolactone are accepted in RSC Advances and Polymer International
- April: Dr. Ejaz's collaboration with Prof. Noshir Pesika's group in Journal of Colloid and Interface Science is published, and his research on grafted nanoparticles appears in Reactive and Functional Polymers
- January: Congrats to Dr. Ravinder Elupula on defending his Ph.D. Dissertation, and his new job with TOSOH Biosciences!
- January: Brittany's paper on amine containing dendrimer calibrants for mass spectrometry is published in European Journal of Mass Spectrometry
- December: The “Cyclic and Topological Polymers” Symposium at the PacifiChem conference is co-organized by Scott, Prof. Tezuka (Tokyo Tech, Japan) and Michael Montiero (U Queensland, Australia).
- October: Esteban, Jen and Joe's paper on lysinated dendrimers is published in Biomacromolecules
- October: Congrats to Dr. Brittany (Myers) Casey on defending her Ph.D. Dissertation, and her job with the Dallas County Forensics Labs/UT Southwestern!
- September: Farihah Haque is awarded the Arlo Harris Fellowship Award for outstanding record as Ph.D. student
- August: Chris Keller, an undergraduate from University of Southern Mississippi, joins the Grayson group. Welcome to Chris!
- July: Boyu's collaboration with Casey Foley and Prof. Sarah Trimpin (Wayne State) using IMS-MS to characterize architectural dispersity in star polymers is published in ACS Macroletters
- May: Mallory, Molly and Karolina’s paper on gene transfection using cyclic PEI (in collaboration with Prof. Godbey) is published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society
- May: Our patented SpheriCal™ dendritic calibrants are featured in Aldrich's Analytix as one of their upcoming products
- April: Congrats to Dr. Boyu Zhangon defending his Ph.D. Dissertation, and his job at Brewer Science in Rolla, MO!
- March: Dr. Ejaz's paper (with Venkata, Ravi, Shiva, and Brian in Prof. Chrisey's group) on grafted BaTiO3 nanoparticles is featured as the front cover of the Journal of Polymer Science: Part A
- January: Yejia and Boyu's PEGylated nanoparticle collaboration with the group of Prof. Fink is published in the Journal of Nanoparticle Research
- January: Scott travels to Tokyo as a visiting scholar to Tokyo Institute of Technology, hosted by Prof. Yasuyuki Tezuka
- September: Molly Payne, who was awarded a BOR fellowship, joins the group
- July: Jessica and Boyu’s collaborative paper with the group of Alejandro Mueller (Polymat Spain) is published in the special issue of Reactive and Functional Polymers on Cyclic Polymer
- July: Gupta and Ravi's paper on characterizing cyclic impurities is published in the special issue of Reactive and Functional Polymers on Cyclic Polymer
- May: Our collaborative paper on the interaction of cyclic polymers and nanotubes, with the groups of Alejandro Mueller and Jordi Puiggali, published in Macromolecules.
- May: Hong and Boyu's paper on PEGylated porphyrins is published in Chemical Communications
- May: Scott received the Weiss Presidential Fellowship for undergraduate teaching
- May: Dr. Ejaz and Satish's paper on grafting polymers from boron nitride nanotubes is published in the Journal of Materials Chemistry C
- March: Boyu, Brittany and Ravi's paper on the MALDI characterization of functionalized PEG is published in Analytica Chimica Acta
- March: Our research on dendritic mass spectrometry calibrants is published in the Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry and selected as the featured front cover
- January: Brittany, Boyu and Joanna's paper on characterizing dendronized PEGs is published in Analytica Chimica Acta
- January: Yi and Alina's paper on amphiphilic homopolymers is published in Polymer Chemistry
- January: Boyu's paper on well-defined mikto-arm star poly(ethylene glycol) polymers is published in Macromolecular Rapid Communications
- October: Our work on investigating hyperbranched polyesters is funded by the American Chemical Society – Petroleum Research Fund
- September: Boyu’s manuscript on the self-assembly of linear and cyclic PEG-PCL amphiphilic polymers is published in ACS MacroLetters
- August: Dr. Ejaz’ paper on grafting polymers from carbon hard spheres is published and “spotlighted” in the Journal of Polymer Science, Part A
- April: The Grayson group presents 12 poster and 3 oral presentations at the ACS national convention in New Orleans
- March: Esteban Duran joins the Grayson Group as a visiting post-doc from Chile.
- January: Jessica’s collaborative work with Prof. Alejandro Mueller (U. Simon Bolivar, Venezuela) on the crystallization of cyclic poly(caprolactone) is published in Polymer
- January: Brittany’s paper on the MS characterization of dendronized PEG published in Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (invited)
- January: Boyd’s collaborative work with Prof. Chrys Wesdemiotis (U. Akron) on the tandem MS characterization of cyclic polymers is published in the Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
- October: Our work on investigating amphiphilic polymers and nanoparticles as improved dispersants is funded by the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative
- September: Karolina Kosakowska, who was awarded an IGERT Bioinnovation Fellowship, joins the group
- June: Yi's trview of amphiphilic polymes for drug delivery applications appears in Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews
- April: Boyd's paper on cyclic amphiphilic homopolymers is published in Polymer Chemistry
- March: Yejia's paper on the synthesis of high purity star polymers via click chemistry is published in Journal of Polymer Science Part A
- October: Congrats to Dr. Mallory Cortez on her graduation, and her post-doc with Prof. T. Reineke at U. Minnesota!
- October: Dr. Ejaz' paper on redox-responsive release from disulfide cross-linked hydrogels is published in Polymer
- October: Congrats to Dr. Jessica Hoskins on her graduation, and her Adolf Martens post-doctoral fellowship with Dr. S Widener at BAM, Germany
- September: Jessica’s collaboration with Prof. S. Trimpin examining the ion mobility spectrometry-mass spectrometry of linear and cyclic polymers appears in Macromolecules.
- September: Joe Giesen, who was awarded a BOR graduate fellowship, joins the group.
- August: Congrats to Dr. Marco Giles on his graduation, and his ARACDA post-doctoral fellowship with Prof. J. Wang, at Baylor Medical School!
- August: Congrats to Dr. Yejia Li on his graduation, and job with Arkema!
- August: Boyd’s full paper on the dendronization of cyclic polymers appears in the Journal of the American Chemical Society
- July: Congrats to Dr. Boyd Laurent on his graduation, and job with Nalco!
- July: Marco and Yejia’s click functionalization of deep cavity cavitands (in collaboration with Prof. B. Gibb) appears in Chemical Communications, and is highlighted on the back cover.
- April: Dawanne’s investigation of star polymer-based carriers for transdermal drug delivery is described in a Biomacromolecules full paper
- April: Jessica’s initial results of a collaboration with Prof. A. Mueller (U. Simon Bolivar) appears as a communication in Macromolecules
- February: Jessica’s review on the synthesis and properties of cyclic polyesters is published in Polymer Chemistry
- September: Jessica's review on cyclic poly(esters) appears in Polymer Chemistry.
- August: SMG gives invited talk highlighting the group’s recent cyclic polymer work at the Young Polymer Scientist Symposium of the IUPAC 44th annual MACRO conference in Glasgow, Scotland.
- July: Yejia’s investigation of the metastable fragmentation of azide polymer end groups appears in Macromolecules.
- June: The group’s tutorial review on MALDI-TOF MS polymer end group analysis appears in Journal of Mass Spectrometry and is featured as the journal cover.
- May: SMG gives a talk at the 58th Annual American Society for Mass Spectrometry Meeting featuring Jessica’s collaboration with Sarah Trimpin (Wayne State U.) elucidating polymer architecture using Ion Mobility Spectrometry in tandem with Electrospray Mass Spectrometry.
- May: Mallory’s full paper on the thiolene-click functionalization of oxazoline polymers appears in Macromolecules.
- March: Mallory gives a talk about her thiolene functionalized oxazoline monomers at the ACS meeting in San Francisco.
- March: Dawanne presents a paper on her amphiphilic start polymers at the ACS meeting in San Francisco.
- March: Yejia presents two posters, and Mallory and Dawanne both present one poster at the ASC meeting in San Francisco.
- February: The Gibb-Grayson collaboration (Bruce Gibb, UNO) on investigating dendronized cavitands is highlighted in Soft Matter.
- December: SMG gives invited keynote talk at the 11th Pacific Polymer Conference in Cairns, Australia.
- September: Jessica’s paper on the preparation and degradation of cyclic poly(esters) appears in Macromolecules.
- August: Yi receives Arlo Harris Award for outstanding first year graduate student.
- August: Dr. M. Ejaz joins the Grayson Research Group.
- August: SMG receives NSF CAREER Award (ARRA) to pursue research related to cyclic polymers.
- July: SMG give invited talk at the Polymers Gordon Research Conference (Mt. Holyoke, MA).
- June: Boyd’s review on synthetic approach for preparing cyclic polymers appears in Chem. Soc. Rev.
- May: Dawanne’s 2008 Macromolecules paper is featured in a special Virtual Issue of Macromolecules featuring “Click Chemistry in Macromolecular Science.
- May: Marco's and Roy's synthesis of dendronized cavitands appears in a special dendrimer themed issue of Israel Journal of Chemistry.
- May: Swati receives the Alworth Prize, Gesine receives the ACS Honors Award, and Brian receives the Merck Index Award for graduating seniors.
- October: Lin receives grant from Newcomb Institute to pursue her undergraduate research project.
- October: Marco's and Roy's communication on dendronized cavitands (in collaborations with the Gibb group at UNO) appears in J. Am. Chem. Soc.
- September: SMG awarded Tulane's Presidential Early Career Development Award.
- August: SMG gives a talk at the Philadelphia ACS on supramolecular chemistry of polymers.
- June: Dawanne's manuscript on the synthesis of cyclic block-copolymer appears in Macromolecules.
- May: Gesine receives the Ann Hero Northrup Prize, for excellence in undergraduate chemistry.
- May: Brian receives ACS Award for outstanding graduating senior in chemistry.
- April: Boyd to present his research at the ACS "Excellence in Graduate Polymer Science Research" symposium.
- April: The Grayson group to present 10 posters and 3 talks at the New Orleans ACS meeting.
- April: SMG and Prof. W. Godbey's review appears in the Journal of Drug Targeting.
- March: SMG gives invited talk at NIST's MALDI-TOF MS Workshop.
- March: Boyd's JACS paper is ranked by JACS as the 18th most cited from 2006.
- February: Kaitlin's senior thesis project is published in Tetrahedron Letters.
- November: Gesine receives a Newcomb grant for her undergraduate research project.
- October: Swati receives a Provost FSSE grant for her undergraduate research.
- September: SMG awarded ACS PRG-G Grant.
- August: Roy receives first place poster Award for his summer LAMP research project.
- July: Boyd awarded Arlo Harris Award for outstanding graduate student.
- May: SMG gives invited lecture at Canadian Society of Chemistry Conference.
- May: Kaitlin awarded ACS Award for outstanding graduating senior.
- May: Mallory receives Outstanding First Year Graduate Student Award.
- September: SMG (as co-PI) awarded NSF-MRI grant for Chemistry department’s acquisition of MALDI-TOF MS and ESI MS.
- September: Dawanne and Boyd present posters at the San Francisco ACS.
- August: SMG awarded Louisiana Board of Regents RCS Grant.
- August: Jessica awarded Board of Regents Fellowship.
- August: Mallory awarded Board of Regents Fellowship.
- May: SMG awarded Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.
- April: Boyd’s JACS paper reviewed as “research highlight” in Nature Materials.
- March: Boyd’s publication on “click” cyclization of polymers appears in JACS.
- February: SMG (as co-PI) awarded NIH grant to study transdermal vaccination.
- December: Grayson group returns home to New Orleans!
- September: Grayson group hosted by Karen Wooley at Washington University in St. Louis.
- August: Evacuation of New Orleans due to Katrina.
- August: Boyd awarded Board of Regents Fellowship.
- July: Dawanne, Board of Regents fellow, joins Grayson group.